The Health Innovation Roundup, sponsored by Health Cities, is written and published weekly by Taproot Edmonton to bring you the latest news and events in research, technology, companies and people changing health for the better in Edmonton.
Sign up to get the full edition delivered directly to your inbox. Use the code HEALTHCITY & you’ll get 10% off the first year.
- AI Week has kicked off with more than 2,000 registrants from around the world. Alona Fyshe is delivering a keynote on May 25 on what AI can tell us about the brain and vice versa.
- The Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii) named three new Fellows to its team, including Bei Jiang, who uses statistical analysis and machine learning to decode complex health data.
- Alberta Innovates has announced it will invest over $4.5 million in eight early-stage health research projects. The projects are part of the Accelerating Innovations into CarE (AICE) Concepts program for health innovators to use technology to solve urgent health challenges.
- DrugBank won the Most Edmonton Startup prize at the YEG Community Startup Awards. Other honorees included Ruth as the top new startup of the year, Future Fields as the best startup workplace, and Islamic Family for pivot of the year.
- Bridge Healing Asamina Kochi, a proposed pilot project that aims to help health-care providers connect unhoused Edmontonians with safe living spaces after being released from the emergency room, has requested $290,000 from the city for one year of operational funding. “The goal is (that) no patient that ever comes to Alberta Health Services in the future should ever be discharged without a home to go to. And this is the model to show how it can be done,” spokesperson Dr. Louis Francescutti told CBC.
- The 10th annual Run For Women on May 28 will help the Royal Alexandra Hospital Foundation raise money for mental health programs at the Lois Hole Hospital for Women. Among the projects it supports is Dr. Dawn Kingston’s HOPE app, a digital mental health platform for women that started as a therapy tool during and after pregnancy.
- Startup TNT has posted the videos from its Investment Summit V Top 20 pitch night, including pitches by Adewunmi Skincare, Bladeflex, and Fairly Staffing.
Have a suggestion for a future edition? Send it to email@example.com for consideration.
Become a “Roundup Cultivator” and sponsor Taproot Edmonton to help them chronicle health innovation in Edmonton. Learn more