The Health Innovation Roundup, sponsored by Health Cities, is written and published weekly by Taproot Edmonton to bring you the latest news and events in research, technology, companies and people changing health for the better in Edmonton.
Sign up to get the full edition delivered directly to your inbox. Use the code HEALTHCITY & you’ll get 10% off the first year.
- Global News highlighted Edmonton’s leadership in artificial intelligence, citing as an example a prosthetic arm that uses AI and reinforcement learning to do its job better, as well as the work done through the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii).
- Amii advisor Jared Smith published a piece on how AI is fuelling Alberta’s diversification. He encouraged participation in AI Week, happening in Edmonton from May 24 to 27.
- Health Cities CEO Reg Joseph dug deeper into LinkedIn’s Workforce Insights report and BioTalent Canada’s LMI report to call for investment in health-tech talent. “Alberta is home to some of the cities with the fastest pace of tech workforce growth, even ahead of many cities in the US. And the fastest-growing tech jobs are in the field of data (where Alberta is already demonstrating its leadership),” he wrote. “Now is a critical time for the province, and for the country, to take advantage of this opportunity.”
- Ceapro Inc, a biotechnology company that develops active ingredients for the health-care and cosmetics industries, announced record sales in 2021, with a 14% increase year-over-year and a net profit of $2.8 million.
- A record-breaking $803,458.75 was raised for the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute during Heart Month activities in February. More than 1,500 people participated in activities to raise the funds, which included a sizable matching contribution from the Jim Pattison Foundation.
- Shining a Light, an interactive art and light display on the 16th floor of the EPCOR Tower on June 16, 18, and 19, offers an opportunity to raise money for the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital while showcasing its innovative equipment and technology.
- April 20, 12:30pm: Pediatric Research Day 2022 — Keynote speaker Nobel Laureate Dr. Michael Houghton
- April 20, 4pm: Health Impact Investor Challenge Top 20 Pitch Night from Spring Activator
- April 21, 8:45am: Student Research Day 2022 at MacEwan University
- April 21, 1pm: Co-Designing the Virtual Clinic in Physical Rehabilitation
- April 26, 4pm: Virtual Expedition: Organ Transplants
- April 27, 4pm: Ethical Data and AI – Salon #5 from AI4Society
- April 27, 12pm: Building a Team for Success – Sandra Spencer (for University of Alberta students, postdocs, faculty, and staff)
- April 28, 12pm: Companies Growing Companies: Learn with Best Buy Health and Age-Well from Health Cities
- May 5-6: 8th Annual Undergraduate Research in Science Conference of Alberta at MacEwan University
- May 12: AccelerateAB Backstage
- May 12, 4pm: Health Innovators’ Meetup at Enterprise Square
- May 17: DiscoveryLab Meeting
- May 24-27: Amii’s AI Week
- June 1-3: Inventures conference in Calgary and online
- June 16, 18, and 19: Shining a Light for the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital
Have a suggestion for a future edition? Send it to email@example.com for consideration.
Become a “Roundup Cultivator” and sponsor Taproot Edmonton to help them chronicle health innovation in Edmonton. Learn more